I’ve reached the point in my foiling obsession where I will try to foil absolutely anything. It started with paper. Paper pinwheels. Paper notebooks. Paper calendars. Now I’ve graduated to the “how many things can I put through my Minc before it starts smoking.” Well – good news is that this sucker is still plugging along and I now have a set of leather gift tags to prove it. Yes. You heard me. Leather. Try putting leather through a regular ol’ laminator. That the thing will go up in flames. The Minc can do it. The Minc can do anything. Minc for president!
What you need:
- Minc Foils in your choice of colors.
- Tag shapes cut from tooling leather. I used my Cricut Explore to cut the tags, but you can easily do with with scissors.
- Decofoil Transfer Adhesive
- foam brush
- metal stamping kit
- washi tape
- Place washi tape onto leather tags
- Use foam brush to apply a thin layer of the transfer adhesive
- Peel back the washi tape then allow the transfer adhesive to dry for about 30-60 minutes. It will still be tacky to the touch.
- Place a piece of foil onto the leather tag
- With the Minc setting on “5” place the foil and tag into a folder and run through the machine
- Remove the foil and tag from the folder and peel back the foil.
- Use the metal stamping kit to add a name or monogram to the bottom of the tag.
Go ahead and get to Minc-ing…or just file this one away for all the holiday gifts you’ll be wrapping. I promise you will be the coolest kid in town with your leather gift tags. I promise.
16 thoughts on “DIY Foiled Leather Gift Tags”
Pingback: Friday Links - The Crafted Life
Pingback: 8 DIY Gift Tags to Try at Your Next Craft Fair
Pingback: business list
This is such a great idea!! Do you think you would need to seal the leather if you did this on something that would be touched often…like a keychain? My head is spinning with the possibilities :).
Totally love this. They would be so cute as luggage tags, too. Pinning.
Love the distressed look of the foil. You Rule!
These are absolutely gorgeous!
YAY! So glad you love em.
OMG – these are stunning Amber!!
Hey Jen!!! I am so glad you like these. Thanks for stopping by!
Ah!!! These are amazing! I have to get myself some of that foil adhesive. Did I say these are AMAZING?
Beautiful project! Very creative and unique.
I stumbled upon your site some time ago and this is my first response. I love your creativity!!! I’ve always felt creatively challenged but I love these tags!!! I’m currently trying to come up with ideas to package my leather tote bags and this is great inspiration. It’s also funny I’ve been thinking about foiling and was wondering how easy it was.
Thanks for the inspiration
OMG – Amber, these are stunning!!!
Is it possible to stamp the medal stamps into the foil / stamp a word into the foil?