Googly eyes again. Don’t hate me.
Initially, I made this project without the googly eyes and let me tell you…nothing is creepier than a pair of bats with no eyeballs. It’s not cute. It’s not right. So googly eyes won again. This time with shoes in mind.
Halloween is coming soon and if you’re not going to dress up in full head to toe costume, then at least you can invite your shoes to the party. It’s sort of a fun, half-way classy, half-way crazy solution for getting into the Halloween spirit without walking around dressed up like a slutty fireman. Oops. Did I just say that? Hey – I live in Miami. Halloween here is like nothing you’ve ever seen. Chances are good that you’ll see a women wearing tassels and a cork claiming she’s dressed up as a bumble bee. Same goes for the dudes. A few years ago, I saw a man dressed as Tarzan. He was wearing a leaf. A leaf, people. A leaf. I’m not even kidding you. I won’t ever be able to unsee that moment. I won’t ever be able to unring that bell.
Take the high road, friends. Just make some shoe clips. You won’t regret it ten years later and have to explain to your kids the time your Halloween consisted solely of a piece of fall foliage.
What you need:
- Leather Bats cut using the Cricut Explore using THIS Make It Now Project
- One 20mm black felt ball
- googly eyes
- shoe clips
- hot glue gun
- black paint
- foam brush
- you’ll also need craft glue (not pictured)
- To create the bat shapes, use your Cricut Explore to cut the shapes from tooling leather
- Paint each of the shapes with black paint
- Paint both being sure to cover the sides so that none of the leather is visible
- Use the foam brush to apply a layer of craft glue directly onto the painted leather bats.
- Sprinkle glitter onto the glue and allow to dry
- Use scissors to cut off the bat head on each shape
- Use scissors to cut the felt ball in half
- Glue the googly eyes on to the felt ball halves.
- Hot glue the felt ball half onto the wings of the bat…
- Then take the head of the bat and hot glue it to the back so that the ears peek out from behind.
- Glue the shoe clips to the back and you’re done!
Photography: Natalie Melissa Photography
Styling: Amber Kemp-Gerstel andNatalie Melissa Photography
12 thoughts on “Craft My Flats: Bats”
Pingback: Fancy Finds // Halloween Crafts - Within the Grove
Pingback: things jane likes, no. 30 | jane can
Pingback: 15 Bat Craft Ideas That Are Perfect for Halloween on Love the Day
Adorable! Definitely need the pink shoes! Do the clips put a mark on your shoes?
Super adorable! Absolutely in love with your styling AND those googly eyes 🙂
Loooove love love love love love! Why are you so damn brilliant?
Funny post! These bat clips are very cute. If only the the young adults would heed your advice 🙂
These are SO stinkin cute! Adding this to my scary to-do list.
LOL – you are so funny! And so creative! I don’t know how you continue to come up with these things! But I’m glad you do – and that you share them! 🙂
Sooooooo adorable! I made some paper pom pom spiders without eyes and nearly gave a jump. Added some googly eyes and all was right again, phew.
At the other side of the world, there was these
immortals (green lanterns) who are fighting with other immortal.
Their best fighter fled to the earth when he was about to die.
So don’t puzzle the single movies made by renowned
Indian directors to be the Bollywood movies.