Fun fact: when I graduated from college I had two jobs. I worked as a research coordinator for a study about preschoolers with attention problems. I also worked at a shoe store. One job exercised my brain. One job exercised my wallet. I’m sure you can figure out which was which.
I’ve had a long standing tryst with footwear. It’s a date I never miss. Shoes never let me down and they always fit (except that time I was 41 weeks pregnant and my feet looked like the Michelin Man).
I’m willing to bet that a fair number of you share my same affinity for foot candy. I think it’s part of the female genetic code. Love of shoes. Love of chocolate. Ability to be right about everything.
Considering my love of shoes and considering my love of crafting, I figure it’s about time the two collide in a series of creative projects that will have you clicking your heels in excitement. Introducing: “Craft My Flats” – cute, DIY-able ways to dress up your plain ol’ shoes. These are not your mom’s shoe clips. These are sassy, bold and will have everyone asking “where’d you get those?!” – to which you will proudly say “I made them.” Then everyone will bow down, for you are the craftiest vixen in all the land.
Let’s get started crafting our first pair of flats – a pair of ice cream cones. Because July is National Ice Cream – but really, do we even need an excuse for ice cream cone shoe clips? Nope.
What you need:
- Ice cream cone shapes cut from tooling leather using the Cricut Explore (if you do not own a Cricut Explore, you an use sharp scissors to cut these shapes from tooling leather. For those of you who do own a Cricut Explore, you can get the cut file HERE.
- Shoe Clips (I like these because they have a leather circle attached to them which makes them really easy to adhere. The package comes with about 10 pairs of clips).
- Foam brush
- Pink, red & tan colored acrylic crafting paints
- E6000 glue
- Glitter (not shown)
- Paint the segments of the ice cream cone as shown.
- While the paint is still wet, sprinkle the top portion of the ice cream cone with pink glitter
- Adhere the segments of the ice cream cone together and adhere the shoe clip to the back