If you don’t like shiny things, turn away now and you’ll be none the wiser. If you don’t like shiny things, come back tomorrow when things will be a little less blingy. If you don’t like shiny things…well…I don’t know how you ended up reading this blog because I love all the shiny things. Glitter. Gold…and big ‘ol giant rhinestons. Hell, yes. Big ‘ol giant rhinestones make my heart go pitter patter. So I took those big ‘ol giant rhinestones and piled them up on a canvas tote. The result is the blingiest of totes that ever did grace this earth – and it’s so very easy to do.
- A canvas tote. I swear by Parrott Canvas Sanibel tote in Natural.
- Acrylic Paint in Beach Glass
- Jewel It Glue
- a paintbrush
- a whole mess of big rhinestones! Michael’s sells them in the jewelry section. An entire box of rhinestones costs $9.99 (or $5.99 with your trusty 40% off coupon. And if teach you nothing else, please remember to always shop with your 40% off coupon. Full price is not an option).
- You’ll also need some fabric medium (not pictured)
- Mix one part fabric medium with one part acrylic paint and paint a messy rectangle on the front of the tote. I like the messy edges, but if you want yours a bit neater then you can tape off the edges.
- Apply dots of glue directly onto the fabric tote and place rhinestones on top.
- Keep piling on the rhinestones until you have a layer covering the front. Then you can strategically place a few extra rhinestones on top of the layer to add a little dimension.