All the women who independent
Throw your hands up at me
All the honeys who makin’ money
Throw your hands up at me
Man, don’t you miss Destiny’s Child? Bad, catchy lyrics and all? I am utterly obsessed with hard working hustlers who make sh** happen. I love nothing more than a bootstrapping success story. I love hearing about the nothings that you made into somethings. I love watching hard work pay off. I guess it’s because I’m in the middle of trying to get my own hard work to pay off. I’m knee deep in the hustle, working to grow this little corner of the internet into something special. That’s why I will always tip my hat to the hustle. Maybe not my hat…my feathered fascinator. Yeah, I tip my fascinator to the hustle.
I used to avoid Etsy. It changed and became too commercial for me, but then I remembered that buried beneath all the commercial bulk of Etsy were those hustlers. They were there, working hard building their shops and selling their awesome wares. So, back to Etsy I went. It’s my go-to for hard to find supplies and quality handmade goodies. It takes a fair amount of digging to find exactly what you want, but once you do – it’s so worth it. I love being able to exchange emails directly with the shop owner. I love being able to ask questions and customize my order. I love building relationships with other creatives. Of all the Etsy shops I’ve come across, here are five of my faves:
1. I searched high, low and then high again for a high quality canvas clutch. I needed some for a few DIY projects but the ones on Amazon were …well…crap. Then I found Else & Rita. And then I found out that the shop owner is based in Miami! Homegirl is sewing her own line of canvas makeup bags, clutches and wristlets and they are on point. The quality is top-notch and she will customize them to whatever color canvas you want…as well as whatever lining and zipper you want. So far I’ve ordered seven bags. Yeah seven. I’m addicted.
2. Oh for the love of buttery leathers. It took a long time to hunt this one down, so I will say this first: you’re welcome. You are welcome for the awesomeness that you are about to discover. When you are a die hard DIYer like I am, there are certain types of emergencies that happen. There are the emergencies where you burn yourself with a hot glue gun. There are the emergencies where it’s 6:45pm and you have 20 minutes of sunlight left and you need to shoot another ten photos. And then there are the emergencies where you need hot pink leather. You need hot pink leather the way you need water. The way you need food. The way you need Kerry Washington to stop doing that thing with her chin. When a hot pink leather emergency strikes, it’s the real deal. Peggy Sue Also is the real deal. She has leather in all the colors. Colors that Crayola didn’t even think of. Like a slew of metallics and several shades of…you guessed it…pink.
3. I bet you didn’t think you needed a ton of wooden bangle bracelets. Well, you do and in a few days I’ll have a DIY for you to prove it. In the meantime, take my word for it and hit up Rock n Wood Supply. This shop sells a ton of unfinished wood products including bracelets, rings and pendants. I’ve never seen such a huge selection of modern and on-trend wooden goodies. I’ve also never had customer service like Rock N Wood. The shop owner is so sweet and so responsive. After I made the mistake of giving her an incorrect mailing address, she shipped out another package to me and held off on charging me again since the original package was being returned to her. When the original package was returned to her, she let me know and everything was settled. The world is full of good people…and one of those good people happens to sell beautiful wooden jewelry products.
4. If you are calendar crazy like the rest of the world, then check out 505 Designs. I’ve used the 505 Designs printable calendar on this post and I can tell you, the shop owner is so great to work with and the designs are right up my alley. As you know my alley is a colorful one with lots of polka dots and bold graphic designs. 505 has a ton of layouts and printables to choose from – and they are reasonably priced too!
5. Felt and Pringles. Once you pop, you just can’t stop. Yep, that’s basically how it works. Once you start with the felt, you will be utterly convinced that life is not worth living until you have all the felt. And then you’ll happen up on Crafty Wool Felt and your dreams will come true. And your wallet shall be empty. I’ve worked with Crafty Wool Felt for years now and I love it so bad. The wool felt is top notch quality as is the selection of colors and sizes. We’re talking 5-10 shades of every color, people. This felt will make everything else feel like one-ply toilet paper. Personally, I keep a few rolls of Kiwi felt on hand at all times. Much like hot pink leather, kiwi felt emergencies are a real thing.
In the spirit of supporting the hard working Etsy hustlers, I’d love to know about some of your go to Etsy shops!